Library Location - Blackwood History
- 1968 CCC Library established; Louis W. Caccese, Director; located in Wilson West Room 100.
- 1973 Wolverton Learning Resource Center opens, named for Charles A. Wolverton, former Congressman from NJ 1st district, and charter member of CCC Board.
- Library and AV Department, including language lab in Room 13, move in; Music Department office and classroom also on lower level.
- 1974 Library expands to LRC 3rd floor - stacks, study space, microfilm, reader- printers, one librarian's office; Learning Lab occupies Room 300; their staff use 2 offices.
- 1976 Annie B. Harris named Director
- 1978 Career Enhancement Institute (CEI) occupies 400 sq.ft. on LRC first floor.
- 1981 Library vacates 3rd floor so it can be fitted for Computer Lab, GED Center.
- 1984 Evening Division moves to LRC first floor, in space vacated by CEI
- 1985 TRS-80 lab/classroom established in half of Room 13; language lab shrinks to 15 stations
- 1986 CCC Library joins newly established SJRLC,
funded by NJ Library Network. Joan Getaz
CCC Library joins OCLC
- 1988 Newly established Program for the Hearing Impaired occupies all of Room 13; video and record collections and student viewing and listening stations moves to first floor, while remaining 5 language lab stations move to Room 11D.
- 1989Bibliographic records entered into OCLC
- 1990 or 91 CR-ROM LAN established for periodical indexes on CD-ROM.
- 1995 Evening Division moves out of LRC; Sign production moves from AV to Public Relations; ID card production transfers from AV to Security; Books bar-coded in preparation for automation
- 1996 GED moves to Camden; Open Computer Lab, Reading/Writing Labs, Tutoring remain on 3rd floor; VISA Affinity Card agreement with Commerce Bank inaugurated; proceeds dedicated to library enhancement; OIT staging area moves into former sign production space; CamNet connection enables establishment of shared automated catalog, CamCat, with Camden County Library System
- 1997 Library website established at njin.net
- 1998 Shared Services agreement with Rutgers for Camden Campus library services begins VALEnj consortium established
- 1999 Testing Center moves to 3rd floor
- 2000 February -Rohrer E-Library opens May - Building vacated for renovations; Blackwood Campus library operations move to Community Center; AV to Roosevelt Libraries @ CCC website unified
- 2002 AV becomes Instructional Services Department; administration separated from Library
Blackwood Campus Library operations return
to fully renovated building with Open Computer
Lab, Testing, Tutoring
College purchases library – books,
journals, microfilm, furniture - from Notre
Dame College, Manchester NH
Cataloged items top 100,000
Library hosts first national traveling exhibit,
“Frankenstein: Penetrating the Secrets
of Nature”, from ALA/NLM, concurrent
with Ron MacCloskey’s memorabilia
collection; sponsors 4-part related lecture
E-Library launches Multicultural Book Club
2008 VISA Affinity Card Agreement ended by bank.
2009-10 Library partners with Visual, Performing and Communications Arts Department in The Big Read, a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
was Charles A. Wolverton?
- A portrait of Charles A. Wolverton (1880-1969)
hangs in the Blackwood Campus Library’s
second floor, with his plaques and commendations.
When it was originally constructed in 1973,
the building was named in his honor.
- Mr. Wolverton served as Congressman for New
Jersey’s 1st District from 1926 until
his retirement in 1959. During his Congressional
career, he was most active in issues concerning
interstate commerce, public health and ethics
in federal regulatory agencies.
- He attended Camden public schools, graduated in 1900 from the University of Pennsylvania and was admitted to the NJ bar the following year. According to the National Cyclopedia of American Biography, “His first employment as a young lawyer was the revision and compiling of the ordinances of the City of Camden, which he began in 1902 and completed in 1903.” He practiced law in Camden, first with Joseph Kaighn, then independently, then with his son, Donnell K. Wolverton. Charles A. Wolverton was a member of the first Board of Trustees of CCC, serving until his death in 1969.